Halloween Pet Safety from Your Vet in Knoxville
Halloween can be a fun time for pets and their owners, but it can also be a time of pet accidents and injuries. As your pet's animal hospital in Knoxville, we help pets of our community avoid problems. Following pet safety rules can help ensure that Halloween is a good time for everyone.
Halloween Pet Safety Tips for Pet Owners
These important Halloween pet safety tips will help protect your pet this Halloween.
- Keep unsafe candies away from your pet. Unsafe candies, like candies that contain chocolate or Xylitol, can lead to pet poisoning. Keeping these candies away from your pet can help keep your pet safe. Put candies containing these ingredients into the freezer or lock candies away in a cabinet before and after the holiday. If candies are sitting out while trick or treaters are coming to your door, keep them up high where your pet cannot get them.
- Talk to children about what can't be fed to your pet. Children love to share candy with their pets, but this can lead to accidental pet poisoning. To avoid problems, talk to your children about food that your pet can and can't eat at the holidays.
- Make your pet wear reflective clothing while trick-or-treating. Some pet owners like to bring their pets trick-or-treating. If you do, make your pet wear a reflective vest to avoid accidents with cars and other motor vehicles.
- Keep black cats inside. Black cats are a powerful symbol of Halloween, which can lead to nasty pranks. To avoid putting your black cats in danger in Halloween, keep them indoors in the days before and just after the holiday.
- Know the symptoms that your pet has swallowed something toxic. Watch your pet for heavy breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, disorientation and other warning signs of poisoning.
Contact Your Pet's Veterinarian in Knoxville TN
At Bluegrass Animal Hospital, we urge you to keep your pets safe during Halloween! To find out more about how you can protect your pet at this time of year, contact us today at 865-694-8387.