Common Skin Problems in Pets
Skin problems are very common in pets. Skin disease in your dog or cat can involve changes in your pet's coat and the development of papules, scaling, and crusting. These issues can be caused by a variety of factors, such as allergies, bacterial infections, and fungal infections. If you have noticed that your cat or dog has started licking themselves too much, scratching, biting, or chewing, you should take your pet to an animal hospital as soon as possible. If you live in or around Knoxville, TN, contact Bluegrass Animal Hospital for help with treating your pet’s skin condition.
Is Your Pet Suffering From Any of The Following?
- Fleas: Some pets are allergic to fleas which can lead to the development of a severe reaction. To treat this issue, veterinarians recommend using flea prevention products.
- Atopic dermatitis: It is the second common pet dermatological disease caused by allergens. The most commonly affected areas by atopic dermatitis are the ears and paws.
- Mange: This is an infection that is caused by different types of mites.
- Hot spots: It is also known as traumatic pyodermatitis and usually appears as a discrete moist patch of hair loss. Hot spots are often followed by bacterial infections.
- Ringworm: This dermatological problem is caused by a fungal infection and is highly contagious.
The Treatment of Dermatology Problems in Pets
If you have noticed any of the issues listed above in your pet, it is important to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. The veterinarian will consider the symptoms and perform a few tests. These tests will likely include allergy testing, microscopic evaluation, and scrapings, which will allow the veterinarian to identify what medical issue is affecting your pet.
There are multiple treatment options available for dermatology issues, including medicated shampoos and oral medications. If there is a food allergy, our veterinarian will also help you determine a healthy diet for your pet designed to exclude any problem foods.
There are also many effective treatment options to treat parasites, including mites and fleas. Most of these options are easy, affordable, and very effective and do not include messy powders or dips. If there is an infection causing the dermatological problem, oral medications can be prescribed, including antifungals and antibiotics.
Trusted Care for Your Pet in Knoxville, TN
If your pet is struggling with a dermatological problem and you are searching for a "vet near me", Bluegrass Animal Hospital in Knoxville, TN, is ready to help you and your four-legged family member. We strive to provide high-quality pet care for all of our patients and meet their health needs. There is always a veterinarian on-site, who is ready to look at your pet and provide veterinary care. If your pet has a skin problem, call us today at (865) 694-8387 to schedule an appointment with one of our veterinarians.