If you are considering having your pet spayed or neutered, you may have many questions. We can most certainly assist you here at Bluegrass Animal Hospital in Knoxville, TN. We offer vaccinations and can ensure your pet undergoes a pet exam before any procedure we give here.
What Is Spaying or Neutering?
Spaying (for females) or neutering (for males) means removing all or part of an animal's reproductive organs. This can be performed as a routine surgery at our clinic. In females, this means removing the ovaries as well. Spayed females will also not go into heat and attract unwanted males.
When Should a Pet Be Neutered or Spayed?
Neutering or spaying your pet early is the best way to get the maximum benefit. That means before the pet has gone through her first heat cycle. It is important to consult our staff to find the best time for your pet to have the surgery.
How to Take Care of a Pet After Surgery?
Following the surgery, your pet will be sent home with care instructions and medications. This is to keep your pet calm and comfortable while he or she is healing. Most pets recover from their surgery within a couple of weeks. A confined relaxing space may be needed for aftercare.
What Are the Benefits of Spay and Neuter Surgery?
- Reduced risk of cancer – Spaying can reduce the risk of breast tumors, uterus infections, prostate cancer, and ovarian cancer.
- Prevent the pet from going into heat – when a female goes into heat, they often urinate frequently and indiscriminately on floors and furniture. A heat cycle is 4-5 days every three weeks.
- Marking territory – Pets often mark their territory by urinating. This can be very smelling, particularly when it is inside the home. Neutering can help eliminate the problem.
- Eliminate wandering behavior – As pets develop, they can wander around the neighborhood looking for someone to mate with. When they roam, pets can get lost, hurt, or bother others.
- Controlling the pet population – Pets are abandoned at shelters every day. There are not enough homes for the 6.5 million animals that are found every year. Spaying or neutering can help diminish that number.
Contact Us for Veterinary Care in Knoxville, TN
If you are thinking about having your pet spayed or neutered, contact Bluegrass Animal Hospital. Our veterinary team will perform a complete exam to get your pet prepared for the procedure. After the exam, we will schedule the appointment for your pet's surgery. We are committed to providing the highest quality of care for pets in Knoxville and the surrounding areas. Give us a call today to see how we can help you and your animal.